Mis-Use of 'Ex-Priest'


Read this...


"....Thomas Groome, an ex-priest who serves as national co-chairman of Catholics for Obama.
Groome, who has criticized Catholic teaching on women’s ordination, wrote in 2002 that “the presence of women as priests and bishops would be an extraordinary gift to the life of the Catholic Church.” In one work, he wrote:
I visited [Rome] on the Feast of the Epiphany, January 6, 2000 … I was present for the papal mass on that Epiphany morning, and the liturgy reflected the same exclusivity – no women or people of color in the sanctuary, only white men and none of them looked poor. Now I found myself wondering if Jesus, who founded a radically inclusive community of disciples – catholic at its best – would recognize any of this as his legacy..."
It was taken from catholic culture. org 

Here is the part that gets me--the description of Thomas Groome, an 'ex-priest'.

Guys like him give guys like me a bad rap, (come to think of it--for a few years I did quite well at giving myself a bad rap, but I digress).
Here is my issue...if you are so blatantly disgusted with the Roman Catholic Church why you still hanging around?

I used the term 'ex-priest' in a memoir title--not to give the impression of authority or even to share an agenda.

If the title is used incorrectly, it comes off like the person has the inside scoop on what is really 'wrong' with the Church and it can play to a broad audience of people with a variety of issues (woman, birth control, and societal injustices to name a few).

The reality is--Thomas Groome shares nothing more than an opinion...just like this 'ex-priest' did.


Popular posts from this blog

Urban Legend Michael Ripple

Canonizations ...the first hours