Medjugorje in the parking lot

I received a phone call today...an old Episcopalian parishioner wanted to introduce me to a friend of his who was getting ready to travel to Medjugorje on pilgrimage.  He thought it innocent enough to invite his 'old rector' for lunch to the local country club.

"I'm not dressed for country club."  I responded over the phone.
"You'll be fine, they have a place there for people like you and me!" He continued, "I want you to met my friend and tell her all about the Mother of God, you know our great great great great great...Mom!"
What to many may appear to be his trivializing the spiritual is actually the opposite---he has a knack for being open to the Holy Spirit and I was grateful he was arranging this impromptu gathering.
"Have a drink on me while you wait for us...put it on my tab!"

I arrived and made my way to the lounge area.  There were about 30 tables with no one present.
A TV played above the bar.
A gentlemen made his way towards me to which I explained who I was meeting.
"Okay, you can have a seat over there"  he directed me to a round table.
Before I even made it to the table he turned and walked toward me.

"I'm sorry, do you have a shirt with a collar?"
"No."
"You can't be in here without a collar."
He continued to stammer.  "I'll get yelled at if you aren't dressed appropriately."
I raised my hand and signaled him to stop, "That's fine.  I understand.  Save it."
With that I walked out....
of the empty country club
in the middle of no where
and the TV played a bad court room show.

In the parking lot I met my friend and explained the matter.  Of course he was upset and of course he wanted to cause a stir.  I assured him it was futile to fight entitlement.

Besides the devil didn't want us talking about Medjugorje, so why pick a battle and lose focus?
The lady who was going on pilgrimage took the whole event as a sign and an invitation...
So we stood in the parking lot and chatted--about Mary and God and Jesus and life and how neat it is when Mary calls you deeper and intercedes....yep in the parking lot.

When I arrived home, I thought about putting on my sleeveless Harley Davidson shirt (it has a collar) and driving back just in time for dessert--like I said...I thought about it.






Popular posts from this blog

Urban Legend Michael Ripple

Canonizations ...the first hours